Saturday, November 14, 2009

Hunting the Hipster

Some of you probably won't get this, but for those of you who do, you might find it quite funny.


I know how to hunt the hipster... All you have to do is play some wack music, lacking any groove or melody whatsoever, made by a bunch of white guys with beards who don't like to shower or tune their guitar, nerding out in their living room trying to sound as odd as possible in the name of "cool", and all the hipsters will come running. You know, music like this.

Can you tell I'm not down?

It's not all bad, I do love Radiohead, the king of all hipster bands. I can get down with The Shins as well, but that's about it. Oh wait... MuteMath? I think they are probably one of the best bands in the world right now. Do they count? On second thought, they probably don't count. WAY too much groove and melody. I am trying really hard to like Wilco. True hipster, you can pray for me. I'm just not there yet.

Ironic too that I study jazz which was the hipster music before there were any hipsters in the modern sense.

9 comments:

Cody said...

MuteMath's first album was definitely better

Ms. S said...

This describes many of my hipster friends to a tee. Now I know how to better connect with them.

Matthew Birch said...

I just looked up the definition of Hipster and it didn't have Radiohead of Arcade Fire under it just John Mayer and Mutemath. Strange. ha

I'll give you this. John Mayer and Mutemath write cute music. My wife loves them.

Just having some fun.

Matthew

Vitamin Z said...

Matthew,

Burn! :) Don't worry, I don't take these things too seriously.

z

Jeff said...

Brother,

you don't have to try to like Wilco, you just have to listen to it... can you hear it? Beautiful.

Matthew Birch said...

Fun Stuff!

Matthew Birch said...

In all seriousness John Mayer is pretty darn good at guitar. There was a moment when I thought I was pretty good at the guitar and then I saw a video of the John Mayer Trio and realized I'm not that good at all!

Oh well.

D.J. Williams said...

I have and like that Arcade Fire album, and I am definitely not a hipster. Just ask my wife. :)

elventryst said...

When I clicked on your link and it took me to the Arcade Fire album, my first thought was, "No wonder you don't like them-- their first album was better." I wonder if this makes me a hipster?