Saturday, November 07, 2009

Playing The Comparison Game

We are not to compare ourselves with other people; nor are we to think of ourselves as more righteous or of others as more sinful. We are to compare ourselves only with God in his absolute moral perfection, goodness, justice, mercy, and love. As we grow in the true knowledge of God, we become far more deeply aware of the gap between the Lord’s holiness and purity and our own lack of holiness and the absence of purity in our hearts and in our thoughts. If I still think of others as “the sinners” and myself as “good enough,” then it is clear I know God very poorly, if at all. But when I begin to know him and come before him with a true acknowledgement of who he is, then the moral differences between myself and other people become insignificant. Before him my own sins loom large and ugly.
- Jerram Barrs, Learning Evangelism from Jesus, p. 139

No comments: