Wednesday, November 25, 2009

The Side-Hug Rap - Uh... Ok.

I was not raised in a Christian culture of side-hugs. It was front hugs all around. I am new to the whole "we only do side-hugs around here" type environment that I have learned about only in the last few years. I know from experience that it can be kind of awkward when you naively go for the frontal hug and are surprised with the last second, lightning fast, "shoulder jam" straight into the sternum. Did I do something wrong? Does this gal think I am some sort of perve for going for the frontal hug? Does she know that I didn't know there were other options? Awkward...

In some ways it seems kind of silly to me, but I get it. It's a wisdom issue for sure. On a serious note, we should be very clear as to what is wise and what is biblical law. There is a difference. It is very easy for these types of extra-biblical rules to turn into legalism. There has to be room for different convictions with these issues. I kind of seems silly that I even have to write about this. So be wise and don't spaz if Grandma wants to give you a frontal hug this Thanksgiving.

Unfortunately this is real... Might be a bit over the top.



Jon Acuff writes about the side hug here.
Pretty funny.

(HT: The Scanner)

1 comment:

Joanna said...

Seems like its a sensitive topic. The number of really vicious haters commenting on the stuff christians like post has been insane.