Thursday, November 26, 2009

"They Wouldn't Have To Leave Would They?"

iMonk:
I’m supply preaching these days at a small Presbyterian church in town. I usually arrive half an hour early, turn on the heat and just enjoy the silence of the sanctuary until the congregation arrives.

Most of my folks live right around the adjacent blocks, some within walking distance. Last Lord’s day, two older ladies arrived together, having walked together from just around the corner.

“Yes,” one said, “we had a conversation with the girl that’s moved in across the street. We invited her to church and she said she might come. But she wanted to know if she brought her boyfriend, would she have to leave.”

For a moment, I was puzzled, but then it began to be clear to me.

“I’m guessing she lives with her boyfriend, right?” Both ladies nodded with a bit of embarassment. Co-habitation is hardly an unusual situation in southeastern Kentucky, but it’s still not a frequent topic with your minister.

The other lady- who has been listening to my preaching at this church for most of 13 years- looked at me and said “They wouldn’t have to leave, would they?”

Read the rest.

1 comment:

Jason Kanz said...

I thought Mr Spencer provided a balanced, gospel-centric message here. Too often when I read I-monk, I feel that he is strong on love but doesn't address issues of our fallenness relative to God's holiness. This one of the first times I have read where he indicates that he unswervingly opposes cohabitation. In fact, I don't think I have ever read him allude to church discipline as something that should happen from time to time.

I loved this essay. OK, to be honest, I usually like his writings because they make my head hurt. As I have told Michael, I don't agree with everything he writes, but he makes me think.