Tuesday, January 05, 2010

"Modified Pro-Choice" = Political Double-Talk

Tactics: A Game Plan for Discussing Your Christian ConvictionsThe modified pro-choice position is a politician's favorite abortion double-talk:  "I'm personally against abortion, but I don't believe in forcing my view on others."
I once had a discussion with  a man who offered this nonsense to me at a conference.  I asked him the question I always pose when I encounter such a notion:  "Why are you personally against abortion?"
He responded with the answer I always get. "I believe abortion kills a baby," he said, "but that's just my own personal view."
"Let me see if I understand you, " I said.  "You are convinced that abortion kills an innocent child, yet you think the law should allow women to do that to their own babies.  Did I get that right?"
He objected to my wording, but when I asked him what part of his view I misunderstood, he was silent.  I hadn't misunderstood it.  That was his view.
The logic of the modified pro-choice position reduces to, "I think it's wrong to kill my own children, but I don't think we should stop other people from killing theirs."
- Greg Koukl, Tactics: A Game Plan for Discussing Your Christian Convictions, p. 154, 155

No comments: