Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Jesus Sings

Will Turner:
I don’t know why I have never thought about this before: Jesus sang. For some unknown reason, I have always missed this. Sometimes I wonder if my view of Jesus is so warped that I fail to realize and process simple things. I am thankful that Scripture stands as a helpful corrective.
After partaking of the Passover meal with his disciples Scripture says, “After singing psalms, they went out to the Mount of Olives” (Matthew 26:30). Jesus was facing death. Yet, there were certain things which needed to be set in motion before he faced the cross. The Lord ’s Supper was inaugurated (Matt. 26: 26-29) and they worshipped together. For some reason I have a hard time comprehending the Lord of the universe singing. But the text says, “after singing psalms.”
The Psalms they sung were more than likely the Hallel or Passover Psalms (Ps. 113-118). These Psalms were sung in celebration of the Passover when the Lord redeemed his people from out of Egypt. Picture Jesus singing with his disciples and remember they are sung in the shadow of the cross:
I will offer you a sacrifice of thanksgiving and will worship the Lord. I will fulfill my vows to the Lord, in the very presence of all his people, in the courts of the Lord’s house – within you, Jerusalem. Hallelujah! (Psalm 116:17-19).
I called to the Lord in distress; the Lord answered me and put me in a spacious place. The Lord is for me; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me? With the Lord for me as my helper, I will look in triumph on those who hate me (Psalm 118:5-7).
I will not die, but I will live and proclaim what the Lord has done. The Lord disciplined me severely but did not give me over to death (Psalm 118:17-18).
Jesus sings about himself. He sings about the salvation of Israel from Egypt. He sings about the salvation which he is about to procure for his people on the cross. He will not die, but he will live and through his resurrection he will proclaim what the Lord has done. The Lord will discipline him, putting him to death on the cross, but he will not abandon him to the grave, nor let his holy one see decay. On the third day he will raise Christ up from the grave. He will not give his son over to death. Jesus sung about his death and resurrection.
What a beautiful picture: Jesus singing.
(HT:  Doug Wolter)

1 comment:

Phil said...

We sing from these Psalms every time we have the Lord's Supper at our church. They give a portal into Christ's psychology that doesn't exist in the New Testament.