Tuesday, February 16, 2010

A Recent Conversation Between One Of My Kids, Myself, and Grandma

Kid (can't remember which one): "Grandma, is it cold where you live?"
Grandma who lives in Minnesota:  "No, it hasn't been that cold this winter, we've had highs in the 20's."
Me to kid (helping him gain a bit of perspective):  "Imagine opening the freezer door on the refrigerator and walking around in there for a few hours.  Would you like that?"
Kid:  "No."
Me:  "That is what it is like in Madison in the winter.  Get ready to suffer."

Yes, I know.  I am the master of positive motivation.

As we have been talking more and more about our move to Madison, we have been talking about the weather quite a bit.  Albuquerque arguably, has the best weather in the nation, and needless to say, Madison doesn't.  The cold in Madison is the frequent topic is discussion in our home.   My kids are going to have a nervous breakdown.  I don't even think they have ever seen me scrap the windshield.  

2 comments:

Lew said...

When looking at graduate schools the two programs I looked at the most were Indiana University and the University of Wisconsin. While talking to the associate dean of the program at IU she said, "Ya know, winters in Bloomington are much milder than Madison winters." At that point I was sold.

Shadley said...

You guys have become lightweights! You can do it! You just grow thicker skin from November to March.