Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Smoking CCM Radio Unfiltered

Christians in Context has a good post on Christian radio. Here is the thesis statement:
I would suggest that listening to mainstream radio with your guard up and your worldview filter on is safer than listening to Christian radio with your guard down. Subtle, bad theology is more dangerous to unsuspecting Christians than is blatant bad theology.
Read the rest.

Just remember, CCM is first and foremost a business.  I think if everyone remembers that fact, expectations can be adjusted accordingly.  One can make the claim that it shouldn't be firstly a business, but that is another post for another day. It is.  Deal with it and listen accordingly.  It presents some unique challenges.  Some artists can handle that well and others can't.  As a former CCMer, all I know is that I am glad that my tenure at attempting to figure that one out is officially over. 

1 comment:

Jason said...

I had a different reason for not listening to CCM radio. I simply felt that many of the heavily-played CCM artists were just not very musically creative. This is another way the "business" aspect comes in to play also. I know that there are excellent Christian songwriters and musicians out there, but not often played on the CCM "hit radio" stations.