Monday, March 08, 2010

Just Being Honest

Brody Harper has a convicting post about those who use the perceived safety and anonymity of social networks to lash out.  Usually these messages come shrouded with a message of "just being honest".  He writes:
I think if we’re really being ‘honest’ the posts would look a little more like this:

I’m an insecure person.  Technology has allowed me to have a platform to a handful of people who agree with my views and opinions on certain things.  Because I have this circle of people digitally surrounding me I feel safe to lash out at people I’ve never met because I know that a good percentage of ‘my people’ will agree with me.

Because of this digital expression I have also found a small niche of things that I have thought about maybe a little more than others, and can now claim to be an expert on it, thus giving me the right to berate people who feel differently or haven’t thought about it as much as me.  After all ‘my people’ will agree with me right?  And if they don’t “I’m just being honest and, they apparently just can’t handle my honesty.  That’s not my fault.  It’s theirs.
Read the rest.  

No comments: