Wednesday, March 17, 2010

LOST = Pointless?

Denny Burk:
How many of you are hooked on the TV series “Lost”? It’s easy to get roped in. It’s a riveting mystery that raises profound philosophical and theological questions. Can we change the future, or is everything predetermined? How do we know what we know? Faith or Science?


Devoted fans await the final episode which is supposed to solve all the mysteries and answer all the questions. Oscar Dahl, however, says that is not what is going to happen, and that is not the point of “Lost.” He writes:

“Over six seasons, the [creators of the program] have sprinkled little bread-crumb trails leading fans to philosophies and theories that may or may not have anything to do with what is actually happening on ‘Lost.’ As such, many fans assume that the mysteries will be solved by the end of this final season. They are wrong. Mysteries will not be solved. Answers will not be given. And that’s just fine.


“At its basest level, ‘Lost’ is about life. The island is a microcosm of our everyday existence… but the feeling of not knowing anything, of being entirely confused, of struggling with meaning, of searching for answers to unknowable questions, is universal. Life is like being on the island — we don’t know why we’re here, we don’t really know what to do, but we still search for answers. And we often fail, even with the best intentions in mind.”


Dahl’s suggestion may be correct, and it would be very post-modern of the producers if they do in fact leave the questions unanswered. Nevertheless, I feel certain that I won’t be the only one who will be disappointed if they do.
After watching last night I am beginning to feel that Oscar might be right.   Seems like they promise so much and deliver so little by way of "answers" and I am getting a bit frustrated with the show.  But alas, I'll still watch.

6 comments:

Zack said...

Riots.

There will be riots if they totally leave us hanging.

I heard that Abrams did that with a previous show though...

Vitamin Z said...

Couches will be burned and cars overturned.

sonneta said...

This may be my cynicism shining through, but I think perhaps Dahl is giving the Lost writers too much credit - I think it's more likely they've forgotten their mysteries or never had an answer for them to begin with than that they are purposely trying to portray "everyday" post-modernist existence.

Tyler Smith said...

Guaranteed we will be left with questions after the shows finale and to be honest, I'd be disappointed if they didn't. LOST is awesome, because you can talk forever with other LOST fans about your theory of what is going on and how things happened. In the end, the show may answer the big questions, but there will definitely be room for theorizing.

Human beings are curious, we love mystery.

Kyle said...

Before last night, I had never seen the show. I knew I would be completely lost, but I still watched anyway. After last night, I felt I understood as much as my friends did - and they've seen every episode. But, I can't help but be intrigued...

KM said...

Never seen it. I'm waiting for the "Found" series!