Thursday, June 10, 2010

Art is dying in this world...

JasmineThis is from the liner notes from the most recent jazz release from Keith Jarrett (my favorite jazz pianist) featuring himself and Charlie Haden on bass.  If you are new to the jazz genre this would be a very beautiful and simple entrance point for you.  I would HIGHLY recommend it.  They play with an elegant interaction that is quite engaging.

I resonate with this quote from the liner notes though I don't think I share the pessimism.  As long as there are humans in this world there will always be art.  It is simply part of what it means to be made in the image of God.  We will continue to be creative because God is creative:
Art is dying in this world, as is listening, as the world becomes more full of toys and special effects. With this death will come the undoing of many possible feelings: beautiful, tender, deep, trusting, true, sad, full of internal meaning and color. . .
Here is some music for you. Take it and its' your's. Charlie and I are obsessed with beauty An ecstatic moment in music is worth the lifetime of mastery that goes into it, because it can be shared.

(HT: Doug G.)

No comments: