Thursday, August 19, 2010

Live Blogging Matthew Smith's "Watch The Rising Day"


I have not heard anything from this record yet.  These are my reactions in the moment as I listen through for the first time.

You Are The Light - Great guitar tones. This sounds a bit more produced than what I am used to from him on the Indelible Grace recordings. Was not expecting that chorus chord change. Sounds like Nashville studio musicians on this record. Could be wrong on that one. Not that that is a bad thing, but it has a certain “sound”. More of a Christian radio feel. Hard to make money in the Christian market unless you are on the radio. I am not feeling this first cut. The chorus doesn’t seem to “pop” like you would want on an opening cut or for radio.

I Need Thee Today - A bit more of a country feel, sort of. I like that his lyrics are not your typical CCM fluff. He certainly has more of hymn influence to his lyrics. I dig the album cover. This song is straight ahead rock. Dig the high piano riff toward the end of the song.

Redeemed, Restored, Forgiven - More good lyrics. I am feeling the need to hear some more risks musically. Just seems a bit bland right now, but that is probably just my taste. I’m sure many people will dig it. Seems a bit “safe” to me production wise. To each his own. It’s not grabbing me. Great that he has such rich theological content. This is the huge plus of this record for me after three songs. Songs have not done it for me, but the lyrics are great.

At Eve It Shall Be Light - Nice groove. This sounds much more interesting to me. I like this tune. Nice pre-chorus. Sensing a payoff... Here it comes... Oh wait, that wasn’t the pre-chorus. Oops. Uh... This song needs a chorus. Anti-climatic. Weird. Nice percussion tones. I really like the tones on this song all around. Nice ending.

Greater Than Our Hearts - Slide guitar is always nice when used in the right context. This sounds cool to me. This song has a really nice feel. This seems the most singable to me of the ones I have heard so far, at least on the chorus. This is my favorite song thus far.

Lord Jesus, Comfort Me (A Communion Hymn) - I like this intro a lot. Ominous. I like ominous. I love communion. These are great lyrics. I can see a church singing this. Nice organ. The biggest challenge is to find lyrics that don’t sound cliche but still work. Sometimes it feels a bit forced but he usually makes good choices. Great solo section. Love the dark tones.

I Have Seen The Lord - This sounds a bit more original. I like it. Nice layered vocal. Has more of the Indelible Grace vibe.

The War - Minor key. Great guitar tones. I am not hearing a ton of “hooks” on this record, yet it is has a bit more of a “pop” feel to it which usually means lots of “hooks”. Might be a bit of a disconnect there. Great guitar solo and very cool ending.

Goodnight - Cool production. I like how this song builds. Still waiting for some hooks that grab me. Great lyrical idea. I think I finally know what he is trying to do on some of these tunes. He is trying to use a more hymn form yet have modern production that sounds radio ready. I could be wrong. I’m not sure if it is working for me.

Watch The Rising Day - I like this intro. Still waiting for a chorus that really grabs me. Great production. Very cool tones and such. Cool female vocals coming in right there. Nice guitar solo again. This production is really strong.

My overall take:
Main strengths of this record = Theological lyrical content, musical production (especially on the 2nd half of the record)
Room for improvement = Needs stronger melodies that grab the listener

Purchase here.

Use these codes for discounts if you would like:
vitaminZ = 25% off the Deluxe Edition CD + Download
vitaminZvinyl = 10% off the Limited Edition Vinyl + Download
Codes expire August 23rd.

Facebook: http://facebook.com/matthewsmithUS
Twitter: http://twitter.com/matthewsmithUS

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the comments.
I've been listening to the extended version of this for a couple of weeks and found your and Bob Kauflin's reviews helpful in processing my own impressions.
It is interesting that using older sets of hymn lyrics with their more linear structure of thought contrasts with expectations of hooks and choruses that might be more circular or reiterative in nature.
I don't know enough about Smith to know if his musical intent was to serve his lyrics stylistically or whether this is his usual style anyway.
I liked 'Redeemed, Restored, Forgiven'; 'Goodnight' and, from the bonus tracks, 'All Must Be Well'.

Thomas said...

I like that his lyrics are not your typical CCM fluff. He certainly has more of hymn influence to his lyrics.

Z,
If I'm not mistaken, all the lyrics are directly from old hymns. Don't know if that changes your review at all.