Wednesday, September 22, 2010

College Basketball, Lying, and The Human Heart

Joe Crispin:
Anyhow, last week, I was looking into Bruce Pearl and the Tennessee basketball program because of his recent admission of misleading (otherwise known as ‘lying to’) the NCAA. While doing so, I also saw this survey of college coaches re: the current state of the game. Or the current state of things outside the game, depending upon how you look at it.
As someone who wants to go into college basketball coaching myself, much of what I read was disheartening. Though sadly, knowing what I know, I wasn’t surprised. It really is a shame that the game and the well-being of the players and everyone else involved in big-time college basketball has more or less been lost. Or at least set on the back burner. No one is being served well.
If you read the survey of the College Coaches, I would point out one primary thing: none of the Coaches were quoted as getting to the real problem with College Athletics. Some say it’s a rules issue, NCAA issue, Coaches looking out only for themselves, or AAU coaches, etc. But deep down, the issue is within, in the human heart. We have no one to blame but ourselves, from top to bottom.
Though I cannot summarize the real issue in one paragraph, it is my belief that before anything else, individuals all over the basketball world are a part of the problem or making the problem worse by looking out primarily for themselves, failing to consider how their actions fit into the well being of everyone involved. But isn’t that a primary issue in any walk of life? I think so.

No comments: