Wednesday, September 15, 2010

A New Jazz Transcription

I just filmed this a few days ago.  If you like jazz, you might be interested in knowing how one learns the jazz language.  Answer?  Simply by immersing yourself in it.  That is what I am doing here as I play note for note the first chorus of Bill Evan's solo on his recording, My Funny Valentine from the record, Undercurrent.  (btw - If you are looking for a good, mostly chill, entery point for hearing jazz, this record is a must.  It's just guitar and piano and is a Bill Evans classic.)

I know this doesn't jive with many of you but thought I would just throw it out there.  It's a snapshot of a means of growth for me as a musician.




Here is the music written out (click on the image to see larger):

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Zac...thanks for the referral to Undercurrent. I've always wanted to know what a good "entry" level Jazz album would be, since more of the "mainstream" stuff can be pretty esoteric and abstract. So much so that it can be harder to appreciate for such a Jazz neophyte. So this post seemed directly pointed at me. I headed over to Amazon and listened to the samples. And listened, and listened, and listened....to a point where I just keep playing the samples over and over all day. LOL. Anyway, I just purchased it and it's downloading now. Keep these kind of posts coming. Love it!

BTW...loved seeing you play in parallel with the recording. Pretty cool!