Thursday, September 30, 2010

Short Responses to Common Pro-Abortion Arguments

David Schmidt:

Today CNN posted an article called, “White House ties pregnancy aid grants to ‘common ground’ abortion plan” and I looked through the comments section and noticed some pro-abortion arguments. I quote them below and provide a response that I hope you find useful:
The fetus (if you are medically educated), is actually an extension of the mother’s body at that point. So no, 1st and 2nd trimesters are not abortions.
My response: It is a scientific fact that the unborn human fetus is not an “extension” of the mother. The unborn child has its own unique DNA and blood type. It is a unique human creature by all scientific definitions. Based on the pro-abortion logic, a mother pregnant with a son would have 2 genders, 4 eyes, and 8 limbs. Now I want to hear them defend telling a pregnant woman that!
Anyone who wants to take [the right to an abortion] away better be willing to pay up for the care of those children we force on our society.
My response: I’m all for adoption and taking care of children but whether I adopt or not doesn’t negate my argument. Using this logic, one could not stop a parent from killing their 2-year-old child unless that person was also ready to raise that 2-year-old. Now isn’t it clear how the pro-abort logic falls flat?
Yes, [abortion] is legal, which means it’s not wrong.
My response: Really simple answer. This was legal, was it right?

3 comments:

D.J. Williams said...

Combine internet arguments and pro-abortion arguments and you have the holy grail of bad thinking.

AndrewFinden said...

I couldn't read all the way down.. surprised no one had yet pulled out the whole 'God aborts stillborns' argument.

It's incredible the number of pro-abortion supporters who fail to realise that the pioneers of the movement readily conceded that abortion is the taking of a life - killing(the argument was that it was moral to do so, not that it wasn't a living being). Somewhere along the line it seems that they realised the general public is not so keen on that and so managed to convince everyone that it's not killing.

Chaotic Order said...

Though Romans 1 talks specifically about knowing God and how people will suppress the truth of God in unrighteousness, I believe abortion is simply another way that their wretched sinfulness is suppressing the truth.

Preach the gospel to these people. Science is great, but if we argue on science it may change tomorrow. But if we argue on the truth of the Scripture, it will never change.

I hate abortion.