Friday, October 08, 2010

More Reflection on Multi-Site - What is Your Theology of Preaching?

Tony Payne offers an interesting perspective on the Dever, Driscoll, McDonald discussion on multi-site.  He concludes with this:
I would have liked the conversation to turn more to the nature and theology of preaching. What is preaching? Is it the kind of communication that can happen just as easily from a video screen as in person?
In terms of the regular preaching that leads and shapes and feeds a Christian congregation, I would say most certainly not. Because preaching is not just information delivery, nor even contextually-shaped information delivery based on the preacher's knowledge of his people. It is an ongoing relationship, in which the pastor demonstrates the truth of his message by his own changed life, and in which the people not only listen to the pastor's words but follow his example. The preacher's knowledge of his people is of some importance, but it not nearly as significant as the people's knowledge of him.
As Paul says to Timothy: “You, however, have followed my teaching, my conduct, my aim in life, my faith, my patience, my love, my steadfastness, my persecutions and sufferings that happened to me at Antioch, at Iconium, and at Lystra—which persecutions I endured; yet from them all the Lord rescued me” (2 Tim 3:10-11). The teaching and the life go together. That is why Paul urges Timothy in his first letter not only to hold fast to sound doctrine, but to “set the believers an example in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, in purity” (1 Tim 4:12). Timothy is to keep a close watch not only the teaching but on his own life and godliness, and to let the people see his progress. “Persist in this, for by so doing you will save both yourself and your hearers” (2 Tim 4:16).
It seems to me that it is the nature of biblical preaching that makes the multi-site model ultimately untenable.
I certainly don't have all these things worked out in my own head, but after reading this I am left asking, "Does this also then imply (as Dr. Trueman would have it) that our churches should be small, say, 300 or less?"  This implies a whole other can of worms related to the issue of ecclesiology.  That's another post for another day.

4 comments:

chrisblackstone said...

"Does this also then imply (as Dr. Trueman would have it) that our churches should be small, say, 300 or less?"

I'll answer with a very hesitant yes. While I don't think a church size should necessarily be mandated by constitution, many of the issues that 1) arise when a church gets huge and 2) are the source of much disagreement aren't necessarily issues when a church is smaller. Maybe the reason there is so much controversy about megachurches, multi-site, etc is because God intends churches to be smaller to avoid those issues. That idea is completely cribbed from Thabiti Anyabwile, but I can't find his original thoughts from months back. I can't say I disagree with it, but I don't think I'm ready to say every church has to be small. Yet.

Vitamin Z said...

I hear you and even if you are right I don't think it will ever happen. If John Piper is the preacher the only way we can keep people away is if we bar the doors. Obviously that can't happen.

z

Pete Scribner said...

Just this morning on my way in, I listened to the most recent Connected Kingdom podcast (http://headhearthand.posterous.com/connected-kingdom-21-multi-site-churches). Tim Challies and (especially) David Murray had some interesting thoughts on this topic, suggesting with you that the discussion is best served if we talk about our "theology of preaching."

AndrewFinden said...

I'm reading Total Church right now, and it is really quite paradigm shifting.