Thursday, December 02, 2010

TGC Asks: Do Non-Believers Play a Public Role in Your Church Services?

Myself and a few others (Scotty Smith, Jonathan Leeman and Mike Cosper) were asked by Colin Hansen of The Gospel Coalition to write a short response to this question, "Do non-believers play a public role in your church service?".  You can click over to read the responses.  Let me know what you think.  

Here was my response:
Participation in community is not the same at leadership in that community. I think it is important to make this distinction clear, and if this distinction is clear, and the unbeliever is connected in relationship with a trusted believer, then I would certainly affirm a person’s participation in the life of the church on a case-by-case basis.
Some churches hire non-Christians professional musicians to play in the band so that the music can be top-notch. I would not be in favor of this. In this scenario the goal seems to be music first. I would rather have an unbeliever participate in music if discipleship is the goal. For instance, I have invited unbelievers to play in my bands in the past simply as a way to get to know them and for them to get to know our church. I don’t offer them a consistent role in the musical life of the church but just a chance to come play and get to know us once or twice. It can be a means to building trust, and for some it would be the only way they would ever think about coming through the doors of a church. I have seen this “work” quite well in the past as long as their is a close relationship with someone from the church who is committed to discipleship and evangelism. Relationships are the key here.
Obviously we are not going to have anyone who is an unbeliever giving announcements, leading us vocally in song, or teaching a children’s class anytime soon. But there are probably other creative ways (like playing drums, parking cars, or helping set up) that could serve the church and the unbeliever in significant ways. I would also caution that the more public the role, the more careful we should be in allowing an unbeliever to participate, and again stress the need to take these on a case-by-case basis with much discernment.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think that is a good, balanced position to hold.

Daniel said...

First off, thanks for the issues you raise here on the blog, because they are good things to think through and I’ve been encouraged through your blog.

But I had to speak up after reading this point about allowing nonbelievers to come serve the church as musicians.

You said: "For instance, I have invited unbelievers to play in my bands in the past simply as a way to get to know them and for them to get to know our church. I don’t offer them a consistent role in the musical life of the church but just a chance to come play and get to know us once or twice."

I'm a drummer, and have the privilege of serving my church in that way (as well as my previous church while I was in college). I believe we'd agree that we'd have no problem playing some music on the side with a non-believer, for example in my garage. But when you say this is a way for them to get to know your church, and that you allow the non-believer to even play once or twice, what is the real benefit here?

I'm assuming you mean you let them play up front (if you did not mean that, please forgive me!), which I have to ask if that would really be the best way of serving the whole church, or catering to just this one person?
You made a good statement about how we should be careful with the more public roles, and I fully agree. There will always be non-believers somehow serving the church (construction workers, print design companies, food companies…), but inviting someone to come serve in the spotlight is different.

Another concern about allowing non-Christian musicians to play: If you allow them to play once or twice, why not 3 times if things are going very well? Why not longer if in your mind you seem to think they’re getting closer to coming to Christ? It just seems like this could easily bring excusable visible sin into the church under the disguise of being an outreach, by putting a non-Christian in a place where people look up to him or her. And what are the youth in the audience supposed to make of the leadership’s choice here? Is some sort of disclaimer supposed to be announced so that everyone knows the visiting bass player is not a believer?

How open would the music practice sessions be when the Christian drummer wants to encourage his fellow musicians in Christ but holds back because now non-Christian guitarists are being brought in by the music leader and it’s supposed to be a witnessing time?

One final thought: As a drummer, I may not be as visible in some churches during Sunday morning, but that does not at all stop the people who do notice who the drummer is on stage from watching the drummer’s life when he’s off the stage. So if I’m giving God glory on the stage by knowingly helping lead his people in music, it would only be right that I’m striving to give God glory off the stage, because we never stop worshiping.

I hope that in my concern over the danger here, I haven’t made a bigger deal than it is, and I’d be curious to hear what your thoughts are on this, as I’m sure you’ve had conversations with people about it.

Thanks,
Daniel