Friday, January 21, 2011

Books For Family Devotionals

As a family, we try to be intentional with providing great Bible content for our kids as they grow. Below are some of the resources that we have and have been greatly blessed by.  Add more in the comments if you have other ideas.


The Big Picture Story Bible

For learning the storyline of the Bible, I think this one is the best.  We HAVE to teach our kids the storyline of the Bible.  The illustrations are great and even us adults learn some things from it.  For kids 3-6, it is really good.   Jesus is the center of it all and it helps kids see how it all connects together.  


The Jesus Storybook Bible: Every Story Whispers His Name

We have been reading this one for about three years now.   The illustrations are really strong and shows how all of the Bible points to Jesus.  In distinction from The Big Picture Story Bible, I think this one is less about the whole narrative and more about how each Bible story points us to Jesus.  Obviously, this is vital to see as well.  


Mighty Acts of God: A Family Bible Story Book

We just started this one with the kids this morning and already I am very impressed.  From the first page we learn that God is the main character of the Bible and the hero in all the stories of the Bible.  Again, this is a very big deal for our children to learn as they grow up in a narcissistic society.  I am greatly looking forward to diving into this one.


The Story for Kids, NIrV: Discover the Bible from Beginning to End

We have just finished up the OT reading through this one.  It is probably a bit more for older kids and is basically a rewording of main sections of the Bible so that kids can learn the overarching themes of it all.   It has been very helpful and our older kids really like it.  



Big Truths for Little Kids: Teaching Your Children to Live for God

This one is super Presbyterian but really good.  It walks through the main truths of the Bible in catechism form as we trace these truths through the lives of some small children and the different experiences they have.  It has some good discussion questions at the end to get our kids thinking, comprehending, and applying.  



The Children's Illustrated Bible

We have this one but have not gotten into it.  Looks good though!



Big Truths for Young Hearts: Teaching and Learning the Greatness of God

This one is a systematic theology for kids in the range of 7-14 I would guess.  Great content and probably a book most adults could learn things from as well.  Bruce Ware is a grade A theologian and this book will be essential for shaping the core beliefs of our young people.  




10 comments:

Pete Scribner said...

In regards to "Big Truths," you say, "This one is super Presbyterian BUT really good." I think you meant, "This one is super Presbyterian, AND THEREFORE, really good." (Just a little ecclesiastical ribbing there.)

I love The Jesus Storybook Bible too.

Vitamin Z said...

I went to a pres seminary. I am down with them! Just kind of funny how that book is SUPER presbyterian. I love it.

the Underdog said...

We are working through "Long Story Short" by Marty Machowski. It is a great format for fathers with a wide age range to disciple.

Scott Sterner said...

We're 3 devos in to "Big Truthes for Young Heart". It's been really great. With 5 kids from 8-15 devos are always a challenge for engaging the entire spectrum. Ware's devos are heavier content-wise, but work if I improvise a little, break it up with questions, etc..... Anyway, I definitely recommend it as a great way to go deeper with your kids.

BTW: The key to presenting devotionals like this with some spontaneity and flexibility requires you as a parent to be prepared. You can easily do this by reading the devo in advance so you know what's coming and can add questions and creativity as needed.

Josh Montague said...

We just started "Mighty Acts of God". We've gone through Big Picture and Jesus Storybook a ton. I really like Meade's conversation starters at the end of each chapter of "Mighty Acts." They've been beneficial for our family with younger kids. Looking forward to another chapter tonight!

Chris Lewis said...

I'd second the "Long Story Short" comment above. We are working through it as a family, and it is simple, clear, flexible, and does a great job at pointing to Jesus.

Anonymous said...

I'd third the Long Story Short - I do it with my children during "dad time" after I get home from work - among many things it teaches, the best is teaching my children the ability to find Christ throughout the Scriptures, particularly in the OT.

Jeff

Joe Foell said...

I've read both the 'Big Picture Story Bible' and 'The Jesus Storybook Bible' to my kids, and we all loved them. I've had 'Big Truths for Young Hearts' on my list since April '09, and actually requested it from the library in August '10, but I'm still on the waiting list (#4 and counting - down from 10 or more when I first requested it). (One book for the whole system, and lots of waiting / transportation times between loans, apparently.)

Thanks for the references to more resources to look into. I'm adding the rest of these to my list now too.

Aaron Armstrong said...

The Mighty Acts of God is amazing, Zach. You and the family are going to love it.

We've also been enjoying Sproul's storybooks like The Lightlings and the Prince's Poison Cup to talk about the gospel with our daughter. Right now she's particularly enamored with the latter.

First Theology said...

One more to consider is the Big Book of Questions and Answers by Sinclair Ferguson. It has a salvation-historical emphasis and structure (similar to the first two mentioned which we also have), yet it adds a bit of systematic theology mixed in and some very clear explanations and activities. This makes it a good companion to children's bible's mentioned. The Q&A style is structured like a very simple catechism. I use it with our daughter, aged 4 1/2, and she really likes it. It's funny (and great!) when I hear her talking to her 2-yr old bro upstairs: "Luke, there is one God, but he exists in three person. The Father is God. The Son is God. And the Holy Spirit is God." OR at church during the children's message (at our Presbyterian church!) when the minister says: 'God spoke...' and she blurts out 'and it was!'

Ferguson also has the Big Book of Questions and Answers about Jesus which is good (haven't read as much of this one yet). The series has some others too, by other authors I think, but I don't know much about them. I think you can find these in the US, but I didn't know about them until I was in Scotland.