Friday, January 28, 2011

An Open Letter to Ray Ortlund, Jr.

Even though I have only hung out with Ray Ortlund Jr. once in my life, I can affirm everything that Jared Wilson writes here in reference to him.  Both men are a great example to me with this post.

Jared Wilson writes:
Dear Ray,

Everyone else seems to be getting into this "open letter" business, and not one to be left out, I decided to throw my two pence in as well. I hope you will forgive my rush to join the herd, especially as my inaugural offering places its crosshairs on you.

First of all, before I say anything else, let me say that I cherish you as a brother in Christ, I have learned much from you, and I would never seek to impugn your heart for God and for God's people. All of those things are evident to those who spend any time with you.

But other things are evident as well.

I am frustrated, Ray. No, not in a debilitating or discouraging way, really. I am frustrated in a delightful way at how sweet your spirit is, which to me is a prime indication of the harmony of your heart with the Spirit of the living God. You always seek to "outdo one another showing honor," and I remember plenty of lunches and coffee conversations and moments in our Pastors Gospel Group back in Nashville where you'd take up nearly the entire time yakking and yakking about how great and wonderful the rest of us were. Really, Ray, you should try to focus more on yourself and your own awesomeness. The rest of us simply cannot compete with your selflessness.

I could go on and on with your flabbergasting fabulousness, but I will just hone in on one thing here. You really have a one-track mind. It's convicting. And encouraging. You just won't stop reveling in and exulting in the gospel of Jesus Christ. I really felt like I had to air this splendid grievance with you, so you would know. I'm sorry to do it in the form of an open letter, but I thought others should know about this too, so they may regard you accordingly. Doggone it, Ray, you make me want to love Jesus more. And that's daunting. And wonderful. I love you.

Your brother in Christ,

Jared
Here are some of Ray's books:

Isaiah: God Saves Sinners (Preaching the Word)
A Passion for God: Prayers and Meditations on the Book of Romans
When God Comes to Church: A Biblical Model for Revival Today
Whoredom: God's Unfaithful Wife in Biblical Theology (New Studies in Biblical Theology)

Here is Jared's book and I hear a new one is on the way:

Your Jesus Is Too Safe: Outgrowing a Drive-Thru, Feel-Good Savior

No comments: