Thursday, February 17, 2011

Neither Radical Nor Crazy

Really good word here from Shaun Groves:
David Platt is not radical. And Francis Chan, in fact, is not the least bit crazy. Despite the titles of their best-selling books, they’re absolutely normal.

In Radical David urges readers to trade in the materialism and faux security of the American dream for a life of generosity, prayer, bible study, community, service and involvement in God’s provision for the spiritually and physically impoverished around the world.

In Crazy Love Francis asks readers to consider God’s lavish sacrificial love for them and the world and then respond by loving others likewise – living more simply, generously, passionately, obediently – together.

This isn’t radical. It sure isn’t crazy. It’s downright normal.

I’ve had the honor of meeting both men. David I only shook hands with and small talked for a minute but Francis and I have had longer conversations backstage, serving alongside each other at a few events. From our brief times together I walked away certain that neither man would label themselves “radical” or “crazy.”

Was it a publisher then, a marketer maybe, who foisted those labels on their words…and their life?

Unfortunate. Such labels lend credence to the lie we all tell ourselves: I’m not like them.

But we are like them, you and I. Forgetting this leads to an abnormal Christian life – Radically crazily sadly misinformed.
Read the rest.  

3 comments:

Samantha Sophia said...

My husband and I listened to radical together on cd and it really puts things into perspective. I agree it is not radical but the minimum required.

Kara Chupp said...

We were just talking about Radical again last night...
This post makes an excellent point.
....the challenges Platt presents shouldn't be considered "radical"...it's easier to push them aside and declare "not for me" if I keep them in that mental category though--isn't it?

Kim said...

Reminds me of having my eyes open to really see James 5:17 for the time. Really? Elijah was a man with a nature like ours?

Really. That's normal Christianity. Thanks for the reminder to expect more.