Friday, February 04, 2011

TV Pales in Comparison to the Glory of Christ

For the Fame of God's Name: Essays in Honor of John Piper
I desperately want to be like this. It is a challenge.
John Piper is known for many things. . . .

Some would likely mention the fact that he’s never owned a television! I vividly remember my first visit to John’s home in 1992. He had invited me to speak at his annual pastor’s conference which, as it turns out, is regularly scheduled during the week following the Super Bowl. Upon arriving at his home after the Sunday service, I told John that I had been looking forward for quite some time to watching the game with him. “Not at my house,” he said. “We don’t have a TV.” After I recovered from the initial shock, John graciously agreed to take me to the home of a church member where I could indulge myself in this annual affair. And yes, John stayed and actually watched the game!

[Footnote] As strange as it may sound to those unacquainted with Piper, his decision to rid his home of the influence of television was not from a disdain for pleasure, but an expression of his radical pursuit of it. What John regards as the banal and mind-numbing distractions of TV serve only to diminish his capacity to enjoy the one preeminent delight that never fails to satisfy, namely, the mind-expanding and ever-fascinating knowledge of God as revealed in the face of Jesus Christ.
Sam Storms, For the Fame of God's Name: Essays in Honor of John Piper

(HT:  Andy Naselli)

4 comments:

Findo said...

I understand that the only time he had a television was in Munich, and for the purpose language learning..

Los said...

But there's a good reason to HAVE a TV, just in case John Piper ever wants to watch the Super Bowl at your house...

Vitamin Z said...

Insightful as usual, Los.

Nate C said...

How would he ever have seen Arrested Development or watched the Vikings.....to the glory of God of course.......