Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Why Men Don't Sing in Church

Interesting article here.  Not sure if this gets to the heart of the issue, but nonetheless, it important to think through.  I may write more about it tomorrow...

Here is the opening:
It happened again yesterday. I attended one of those hip, contemporary churches — and almost no one sang. Worshippers stood obediently as the band rocked out, the smoke machine belched and lights flashed. Lyrics were projected on the screen, but almost no one sang them. A few women were trying, but I saw only one male (other than the worship leader) making the attempt.
Read the rest.

3 comments:

David said...

That's a good article. I think he's right on.

Unfortunately, he also appears to repeat the bar tune myth: "Some of the tunes came out of local taverns." I was going to comment on it, but I saw that someone already had, even providing a link to a proper explanation of "bar tune," and was ignored.

weaver said...

I'd be curious to get a thoughtful response from you on this one, Z.

the sife said...

Men don't sing because (a) modern music (and nearly everything else in contemporary services) is geared towards females and (b) modern contemporary music forces everyone to sing the melody, no longer the parts required by hymns.

Go somewhere where non 'jesus is my boyfriend' hymns are being sung and you'll find men singing.