Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Protect the Flock by Excluding Visitors?

Micheal Mckinley writes at the 9marks blog:
Elders are called to protect the church from people who would do them spiritual harm (wolves among the sheep). One of the ways we try to do that in our church is by not allowing people to get very involved in the life of the congregation until they are members.
So in our church, non-members are welcome to attend and participate in the public services of the church. We are happy to have them in our Sunday morning gathering, our Sunday evening gathering, and our fellowship meals.
But we don't let people attend small groups or serve among the children or lead music until they are members. In order to join the church, a person must be examined by the elders and approved by the congregation. Once a person has been through that process, we feel reasonably comfortable that they are safe (that is to say, not a wolf).
But until the point, we don't want to encourage people in the church to look to that person as a leader by putting them up in front of the congregation to lead singing. We don't want them teaching the children of the church. We don't want people to completely let their guard down and trust them in the way we ask members to trust each other in small groups.
People who are "regular attenders" but who haven't joined the church sometimes feel like our policy is exclusive. But ultimately my responsibility is to the flock over which the Spirit has made me an overseer. And besides, they are welcome to pursue church membership at any time.
I love much of what is produced by 9marks but this piece is a bit concerning to me.

This phrase seems problematic:  "Once a person has been through that process, we feel reasonably comfortable that they are safe (that is to say, not a wolf)."  Can we ever really be sure?  Does this imply that adhering to a written statement of faith and overall philosophy of church "protects" the flock?  I can tell you many stories of men and women who gave all the right membership class answers and completely turned out to be quite lost in sin and/or error.  Though not a bad thing to do, signing a covenant of fellowship might be a false assurance of protection.

I can also tell you many stories of people involved in the intimate life of the church at many different levels (small groups and music participation come to mind) where this participation was the exact catalyst that God used to save them.

Not exclusively, but oftentimes, small groups are the best place for non-believers to see the life of the church lived out.  It is the place where our love for each other can be most tangibly observed.  To exclude them from that would be a great disservice to believers and unbelievers alike.

Protection of the flock comes not in structures that exclude people who don't sign the covenant of membership but comes through strong relationships with leadership.  Just like in my immediate family, I am not concerned about having an unbeliever (a non-family member if you will) at our home for dinner because I know my children view me as their primary influence and if anything is said that I don't agree with I will either correct it on the spot or wait until later.  My children are "secure" and "safe" because of their real life connection to me not because they have verbally assented to a set of rules for our family.

Same with our small groups.  If we have good leaders we'll be able to deal with unbelievers in our groups because our people will be secure in their relationship with the leaders.  The leaders will protect their group in the same way that I would protect my own children.  If error comes up, it is dealt with.

Now there is nuance here that should be named.  We should make the distinction between someone who professes Christ but is not a member and one who is a professed unbeliever but interested in learning more.  If it is the person who professes Christ but is not a member, then you are much more likely to get the nut job who wants to import their agenda or wacky theological hobby horse into the life of the church or small group.  A membership class might (or might not) weed this out.  In this case I would certainly understand wanting to only have members be in small groups.  But to exclude all unbelievers who are curious about Christianity from small groups seems to be overly rigid and unwise for a few reasons.

First, we are spring-loaded create Christian cul-de-sacs.  We love our comfort and "safety".  Most of us, myself included, are not as serious about God's mission for discipleship as we should be.  Excluding unbelievers from small groups seems to feed this instinct.  We have to structure missional intentionality in our lives or it won't get done.  Having small groups be welcoming to unbelievers helps promote an evangelistic mindset in our people.  

Second, we don't exactly have unbelievers breaking down our small group doors.  At our church, we have found that most unbelievers are probably intimidated by attending a small group if the are completely unexposed to anything Christian.  But if they do come it can be an amazing view into God's kingdom.  We should not remove this opportunity from them.

Michael writes, "But ultimately my responsibility is to the flock over which the Spirit has made me an overseer."  I whole-heartedly agree but I would add that barring unbelievers from a small group might be directly working against this quoted desire.  Giving our people structure in their lives to live out mission together in front of unbelievers might be exactly what they need and what the unbeliever needs.  This implies wise leadership from our small group leaders (which is why we put so much emphasis on leadership development at The Vine) but when done well might be a beautiful window into the church actually doing what we are called to.  I fear that the policy above might subtly work against it.

6 comments:

chrisblackstone said...

Zach,

Capital Hill Baptist, and I'm guessing McKinley's church Guilford Baptist, have small groups specifically for non-Christians. They use Christianity Explained which is a 6 week study on Mark. HEre's some more info on how CHBC does things here

http://www.9marks.org/ejournal/using-small-groups-cultivate-fellowship

chris

Jen said...

"If it is the person who professes Christ but is not a member, then you are much more likely to get the nut job who want to import their agenda or wacky theological hobby horse into the life of the church or small group."

While I don't necessarily disagree with you, I am somewhat offended by the way you phrased this. I've been actively involved in the same congregation for almost 15 years now, first as a student, now as an adult (small church/Sunday school, small groups, short term missions, Bible studies and serving). I'm not a member. Does that mean I'm a nut job with my own little agenda that I'm trying to import?

Of course not. I'm not a member officially because I don't understand the point. I say this without malice or fasetiousness...I really don't understand the modern concept of church membership. Why do we have classes and covenants/contracts to sign?

I believe, I was baptized as a believer in a conscious act of obedience...I'm a member of The Church. I actively take part in and serve with the local congregation. Why isn't that enough? I don't have a problem with the modern concept of church membership--how could I?! I don't understand it, and I can't get a clear explanation of the biblical purpose or reasoning behind it.

Anonymous said...

Jen

I too used to hold a indifferent view towards church membership. I do not any longer. I think that the importance of true christian fellowship is indicated by membership. We need to understand the doctrines Christianity which includes the doctrine of the church.

If I may suggest, go to monergism.com website, type in church membership in the search website box, and read some good articles.

The early church leaders where even more insistent on church membership with statements that linked salvation with church membership. Not that church membership saved anyone, but that God draws His body together, and they are joined together in the church.

This can be something that is hard for us independent Americans to understand. Couple that with the post-modern independent / self-deterministic attitude and you really have a culture that rebels to the biblical doctrine of the church. I have been running as fast as I can away from our national / cultural tendencies, and running towards biblical positions.

Additionally, the doctrine of the church, in a doctrinally solid body, protects both you and the church from error. Paul instructed Timothy to "Guard his heart and his doctrine, in so doing you will save yourself, and those who hear you...)1 Tim 4:16, and the biblical doctrine of the church is part of this doctrine.

There are some saying to day that doctrine divides, but Christ Unites. This is a lie from hell. It is right in the first part, doctrine does divide...The saved from the unsaved. Run to doctrine. It is ok to not know it now, but it is not ok to not be learning / pursuing it.

I certainly hope that this is not offensive, or that you don't feel 'attacked' by this response. That is certainly not my intention. I am hoping, however, to gently encourage you to dig deep in the historic faith. The life that you will find at the depths will enrich you, give you an unshakable foundation, and you will surely have an answer for the hope we have as Christians.

By the way, if the leaders in your current church are unable to give you solid / biblical answers, Leave that body and and pray for a church that will ground you in the historic christian doctrines. Remember 1 Tim 4:16 said that doctrine was salvational. Our salvation is dependent not on cozy relationships, but right knowledge of God. We need to worship God "in spirit and truth." Incidentally, the relationships that you will build in a solid doctrinal church may not always be cozy, but will always encourage your growth and sanctification and encouragement. True love thrives in this environment.

Best of luck, Dig deep, and I look forward to seeing you in Glory.

Tim

Anonymous said...

Jen

Here is a great link on the church and the current state of church membership for a quick read.

http://wscal.edu/blog/entry/quitting-church

Tim

Brendt said...

Jen, I'm 99.9999% certain that Zach was not implying that you are a nut job or pushing an agenda. I think his point was that "open doors" can leave a church more vulnerable to nut jobs. CHBC has chosen to use membership as its metric for what doors to open to what people. Frankly, I think that's not a valid metric, but the point *wasn't* that anyone that doesn't fit whatever metric is automatically a nut job.

Brendt said...

I will admit that I'm not really big on church membership. And to be honest, the link that Chris provided didn't help that cause any -- particularly the fact that CHBC believes that anything short of membership means "casual, non-committal attendance." But that's not really my point -- it's moreso just laying my cards on the table.

Let's assume that membership in a given church is an accurate measure of the idea that the member will properly represent that church -- and much more importantly, Christ. (I disagree with this metric, but I'm willing to concede it for sake of argument.)

I can understand refusing any role of leadership to someone who doesn't fit this metric -- there is certainly legitimacy to wanting the church and Christ represented properly, and anyone in a leadership role would certainly be perceived as representing both. And, from personal experience, I would even go so far as to extend that "leadership" definition to anyone who's on stage (including worship team). While it may not be accurate to assign a "leader" label to all those people, that's how it can be perceived.

(I'm not disagreeing with Zach's perspective on music or saying that his examples are invalid or flukes. I'm just citing personal experience. Some people see anyone on stage as having some measure of authority and/or spirituality.)

But refusal to let a non-member (or whatever metric is used) participate in small groups isn't simply nonsensical, but borders on the anti-biblical. The messages to the non-member are that:

* he does not qualify to learn about God in certain settings
* he does not qualify to fellowship with other believers in certain settings
* he does not qualify to share his burdens in certain settings
* those that *are* permitted have somehow magically "arrived"
* never the twain shall meet -- unless it's in a formal service
* God is incompetent, in that He is incapable of protecting His children from error

Yeah, I realize that last one is harsh, and I'm sure that everyone in leadership at CHBC would deny it vehemently. But what a person *says* that he believes isn't always what he believes (which goes back to the question of the effectiveness of membership as a metric -- but I digress).

Yes, elders are charged with protecting the flock from error. But this policy hurdles past "this is how God allows me to participate in His kingdom" to "God *needs* me to protect the flock". On a lesser note, it also displays extremely little faith in the small group leaders (and the training that they were given) that they can't identify and squelch error.

One of my favorite things about small groups is that I've always viewed them as being antithetical to the improper view of a great chasm between clergy and laity. But somehow, CHBC has managed to have its cake and eat it, too.

I have to admit that I can't find anything anti-biblical about small groups specifically for unbelievers. If someone is more comfortable/receptive in a living room than in a church, that's great. But what happens to the person that gets saved in the middle of the study for this group? Does he get kicked out, since he's not an unbeliever anymore? Or even if he's permitted to finish the study, is he not then in limbo between the end of that study and his choice to become a member? So basically, we're going to take away (what could be) a key component in the growth of a BRAND NEW CHRISTIAN?!?! Are you kidding me?