Friday, March 04, 2011

Video Games are Not Sinful, They're Just Stupid



Mark Driscoll:
Video games are not sinful, they’re just stupid. And they’re stupid in this way: Young, particularly men, and now women are joining it, they want to get on a team, be part of a kingdom, conquer a foe, and win a great, epic battle. So they do it with their thumbs and it doesn’t even count. Nobody’s really liberated. The Taliban is not really conquered. Women are not really freed from oppression. Generations are not really changed. It’s all fake. It doesn’t count.

You want to do something? Get off the couch, unplug the electronics, give your life to Jesus, find some other guys, and do something that actually matters. Leave a legacy for women, children, generations, not just the high score on some stupid game. It’s amazing. A whole world filled with guys who want to be on a team, go to a war, defeat an enemy, and save a princess.

That’s the story of this book, the Bible. And if you want to be part of that kingdom, you got to get off the couch and follow that king. And you do not quit. You fight differently when you fight for ones you love, a kingdom, and a king.

Some great battle leaders, they would historically have their men row to the shore of a place they wanted to investigate and conquer, and then the good generals would light the boats on fire. “There are two options, men: forward or death.” That has to be the attitude that we have. That has to be the attitude we have ’cause the default mode of the human heart is selfishness, laziness, quitting. And some of you are here and you’ve already quit. Don’t.

And some of you would want to say you’re a Christian and not see it through to completion. And let me just say this. All of the slots for hypocrite are already filled. All of those positions are filled. We’re not lacking hypocrites. We’re lacking disciples.
I know some of you reading this probably play video games.  Just like anything else, a good thing can become a God thing.  The issue is not, "Can I play video games?"  The issue is, what am I doing with my time to maximize my joy in God?  Of course you are free to play video games.  That is not the point. "Is it sinful?" is one of the least helpful questions when it comes to your sanctification.  You don't want to default to the lowest common denominator.  How can I spend my time to bless the most people, honor God and maximize my joy in God?  That is a far better question.

4 comments:

Taliesin said...

I like Mark, generally speaking, and I understand his sentiment. Here's my question though. Can't this be applied to any hobby? What about the guys, dare I say football geeks, who watch the games, have fantasy teams, etc. Or what about the guys who watch every UFC event? Or any other sport for that matter.

If, as we frequently say, the good is the enemy of the great, where do we draw the line? What are the high places in our times that not even the good kings are tearing down?

I don't have an answer. But I think if I take an extreme position on video games I have to take the same position on sports and other hobbies unless there is something inherently sinful about particular hobbies and not others.

I definitely could be wrong, but that's just how I see it.

Vitamin Z said...

Good thoughts. I hear you. That is why I felt like I need to put that qualifier on the end. We should be asking those questions of all our hobbies. Hobbies are not bad, but it seems that there is a certain addictive quality to many men playing video games. It becomes all consuming. But the heart is an idol factory and will lean towards that with anything, so you are right. Fight the idols!

Unknown said...

I can picture a Pastor in another church giving a sermon called "MMA is not sinful its just stupid". To each their own I guess. I feel it has more to do with what a Pastor personally likes then the principal itself. I think the way you clarified it and talked about it at the end of this post is much more beneficial.

By the way I love MMA I was just making a point.

Anonymous said...

I completely disagree with this. Videogames are not stupid. Gaming is a hobby that some people have. i could say that watching MMA is not sinful, its stupid, but to me, that just sould really silly and judgmental of a type of entertainment. saying videogames are stupid is like saying movies are stupid. people play them for the same reasons. its a form of ENTERTAINMENT. In my opinion, games can be known as a form of art too. look at games like Shadow of the Colossus, or even Half Life 2 (Episodes 1 and 2). Those are amazing games and they have very unique art, and have to be experienced to fully appreciate it. another example: watching sports. many people watch sports, but noone thinks they are stupid, because people have been watching sports for so long, and Fox news has not made sports out to be something they're not. im not meaning to come across as arrogant/ignorant/completely stupid, but just because Mark is a pastor, does not always mean he is right to condemn such thins