Thursday, April 14, 2011

Has the Gospel Engaged Your Finances, Or, A Reflection on Why Zach's Jeans Have Holes in Them

Guest post by David Jordan


On Tuesday Brant Hansen blogged about how he does not tithe, nor does he think Christians are bound to do so. I agree with Brant that the Bible neither prescribes nor portrays Christians tithing (a strict 10%). I agree that God claims all of our possessions.

However, what can be lost in this line of thinking is the place of regular giving. My local church and missionaries whom I support are ongoing ministries which require ongoing support. The vast majority of my giving goes in this premeditated category. Why not make a free decision to give regularly to these regular needs?

Having made a personal monthly commitment to those things, I have the freedom to give to other things. Do I see someone in need? A friend raising support for a summer missions trip? Text SPREAD to 50555? I'm free to give to all these things, and it enlarges my heart to do so.

Some Christians need to hear that they are not bound to tithing. Tithing does not make you righteous, nor does the approach I take to giving. The issue goes much deeper than ledgers. The two books linked below have been very helpful in addressing my heart on this question.

Money, Possessions, and Eternity (Long)
The Treasure Principle: Unlocking the Secret of Joyful Giving (Short)

No comments: