Monday, May 16, 2011

Rebuilding a Healthy Schedule

Joe Thorn:

A couple months ago I was confronted with my out-of-whack workload and schedule. No one in particular said anything to me, but my body began going haywire. I’ll skip the details and just say that it became evident that I was doing too much, resting too little, and had allowed boundaries between work and family to weaken. This made me less effective at work and at home. It wasn’t just that I was working too hard, but that I had also started listening to Devil’s lies.
So I talked with my coach (a pastor who speaks into my life re: gospel, church, family, etc.) who told me to talk to my wife and elders, and rebuild my schedule from the ground up getting their input. I wont bore you with my new schedule, but I thought it would be helpful to share what I did to get myself back on track. It’s been a couple months now and I am feeling better and bearing more fruit in my work as pastor, husband and father. Before I could begin constructing a better schedule I had to confront the lies the devil had been whispering in my ear that I was actually believing
I shared these lies on twitter at the time, but here they are again with a little explanation.

Lie #1: You aren’t too busy or tired, you’re just being a baby.
Lie #2: You should be doing more, not less.
Lie #3: Your church is too small for you to feel so overwhelmed.
Lie #4: If you don’t do it, it will fall apart.
Read the rest.

No comments: