Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Why is U2 So Popular?


Hilarious.

Daniel Rosenthal writes:
Imagine you’re a middle-aged, upper-middle class male.You live in a large metropolitan area. You have a good job. Your wife does Pilates. Your oldest just started Kindergarten. Yes, you’re an adult but you’re still cool! Your jeans cost $125. Sometimes you wear sneakers with a blazer!

You like the idea of being a guy who’s into live music but the last few concerts you’ve been to were a) too loud b) too crowded c) too foreign (you're lucky if you recognize one song). You’ll snap a few photos with your smartphone and tell your bros about it to get some street cred but let’s face it – you didn’t enjoy yourself. There are millions of you. And you’re willing to drop cash to have a concert make you feel cool again.

Then you learn that U2 is coming to town...
Read the rest.

(HT: JT)

3 comments:

victoria said...

Ha! Boy, that wasn't anything like I experienced last Tuesday at the U2 concert I attended! Stood in line 10 hours to get into the General Admission's "inner circle" so I could get a close view of Bono and the gang. There was no new songs played, only one encore and the place was so packed I could barely move! Seriously, I was pushed, stepped on, elbowed, etc.
And the folks surrounding me? Talk about diversity! College kids, Old folks, twenty, thirty, forty somethings... it was crazy. And people were getting drunk and smoking weed.... and at one time I looked over at my husband and wondered: maybe we're too old for this? But then U2 finally hit the stage and all of the sudden, the sick smoke smell, the spilled beer, drunk folks all were tolerable because I got to see and experience my favorite band up close.

Now, when U2 is super old and starts playing the wineries around here.... then perhaps I will identify with what was written but so far.... U2 Rocks!

Burly said...

I think the point, Victoria, is not that U2 isn't cool or doesn't rock ... you and I (as old U2 fans) aren't cool and don't rock! U2 rocks 4evah!

Anonymous said...

Zach... The only part that was a little off was the Lexus SUV in place of the Honda Odyssey, right?