Wednesday, July 06, 2011

Getting Away With Murder

Refine Us Blog:
I have not followed the Casey Anthony murder trial very closely. I know that there is some pretty incriminating circumstantial evidence. I know that according to what I’ve seen on TV, the case against her was pretty strong. I know it appears that she is getting away with murder. Based on all I’ve seen, I think she is. It is a scandal.

Everything within me says, “I can’t believe she is getting away with this.”

Then there is another voice in my head that reminds me of all that I have gotten away with. The lies I never got caught in. The lust that no one ever knew about. The hate I never showed outwardly. The jealousy I masked with self-righteousness. The consequences of sin I somehow escaped. But she (allegedly) killed her daughter. That is different than my sin. To me it is…then Jesus equates hating with murder and I know I’m guilty.

It is then that my heart remembers the scandal of my own “not guilty” verdict. When I deserved the death penalty, Jesus took it. When I deserved to pay for my crimes, Jesus stepped in and took my place. Grace doesn’t make what Casey Anthony allegedly did right…nothing would ever make that right.

Grace makes me thankful for God’s injustice…that He doesn’t give me what I deserve. It makes me thankful that I am not called to be the judge or jury, because I am at the center of my own scandal of forgiveness. This verdict is a reminder to me of how outraged most people would be if all of the sins of my life were known and the world was told that Jesus found me not guilty.
Read the rest.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A beautiful post.

Kathy said...

Because of God's JUSTICE you and I were declared guilty. Because of God's MERCY, which we did not deserve, Jesus took the penalty and punishment and then declared us not guilty. I think it is erroneous, confusing and insulting to the character of God to say that because of God's injustice we were forgiven.

Maureen Enderlin said...

I agree with the above comment by Kathy. I am gratefuly aware that His mercy towards us is so great every moment. I can't even respond to this loving God if it weren't for his mercy and kindness. Thank God that my sin was satisfied to this merciful God only through Jesus.

Vitamin Z said...

Kathy and Maureen,

I agree with your sentiment. I would have preferred a different choice of words but I believe the main point is very strong.