Monday, August 29, 2011

Advice from Steve Jobs

From Steve Job's commencement speech at Stanford:
For the past 33 years, I have looked in the mirror every morning and asked myself: "If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?" And whenever the answer has been "No" for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something.

Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything — all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure - these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose.
I love this quote, but I doubt my grandparents ever asked this question and I doubt that most people in the world today have the ability to even comprehend this question.  That doesn't mean that all of us shouldn't pursue it.  It's just to say that for some it will be much easier than others.  We should be careful to not look down on those who don't have the resources to muster the kind of self-creation that Steve Jobs has.  As as people of God, we should be more than willing to help those in those challenging situations to rise out of them.  But I sure am thankful that Steve had those resources, motivation, and privilege as I type this on my MacBook Pro!

(HT:  Darryl Dash)

No comments: