Friday, September 23, 2011

Pastoring and "Broader Interests"

Ed Stetzer:
I've noticed a pattern lately and I'm not the only one who has seen it. Christianity Today featured a story in the spring of 2010 about pastors leaving their churches to pursue writing and speaking opportunities. Francis Chan, Jim Belcher, N. T. Wright and, now Rob Bell, have left local church pastorates, some of which were churches they themselves had planted. This led CT to ask:
What's going on? Is the local church becoming the "farm team" for full-time conference and book ministry?
Rob Bell's announcement included the plan to pursue "broader interests" and that prompted this post.

(I am very aware that there are other issues regarding Rob Bell, but this is not a post about him. You can read my review of his book, Love Wins, in 3-parts: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3. His departure from Mars Hill, however, sparked these further thoughts I now address.)

I try not to wag my finger at others, and every person involved needs to hear from teh Lord and be obedient to his call, but I must say this move away from the local church confuses (and concerns) me a bit. Perhaps that is because I'm heading in the other direction.

Allow me to explain.
Read the rest.  

No comments: