- Am I responding to a controversy or creating one?
- Have I fully digested and assessed this issue?
- Do I really have anything important to add to the conversation?
- Assess your motives.
- Remember the power of compassion.
Click over to read his explanations of each point.
I would add:
1. Have you solicited feedback on your piece from someone who is willing to not be a "yes man"?
2. Are you saying anything unique?
3. Have you given enough time to let the issue settle a bit? Time oftentimes brings perspective.
4. Have you considered the hypothetical objector and answered their concerns?
5. Have you written in such a way that it would read well out loud with the person sitting in front of you that you are seeking to address? Is it charitable?