Tuesday, March 20, 2012

A Good Window into the Professional Sports World

Guest post by Joe Crispin

When folks I don’t know find out that I am a professional athlete, they usually become very intrigued and, more times than not, give the indication that it must be the coolest job in the world. I understand why, I really do. For I am a firm believer that it really should be the coolest job in the world. The problem is, however, that it is often far from what it really ought to be.

The reasons why are many (and they definitely vary depending on where you are). And I have found few writers who have written insightfully on the topic. But I just found one in David Halberstam. So I want to recommend his book (or at least the one book of his that I have now read), The Breaks of the Game, to you.

It was written over 25 years ago, so there are some things that are dated, but it is still in print for a reason. It’s simply a classic book on the professional basketball world and the team dynamic. His focus is on the Portland Trailblazers’ seasons in the late 1970’s to early 1980’s, but he goes far beyond the wins and losses and writes insightfully about everyone involved (and even many not involved). From coaches to players to front office personnel, he gives you are good window into the ups and downs of the professional sports world and why certain teams are successful. The pressures involved, the inevitable internal, personal and business struggles that go on, and so much more.

So if you are into professional sports and want to better understand that world (and it really is its own world in many respects) and/or better understand why certain teams are better than others, his book is a good place to start. I highly recommend it.

(Note: cross-posted from JoeCrispin.com)

No comments: