Monday, April 16, 2012

Do You Walk As a Means of Travel?

Jessie Stankey:
I grew up walking or biking most everywhere. I lived in small towns that were walkable and never owned a car. Yet, hearing that “Americans now walk the least of any industrialized nation in the world” I am not surprised. Compared with my trips in Europe where pedestrians outnumber cars, in the States walking as a form of commuting is rare. 
“We’ve engineered walking out of our existence and everyday life,” Vanderbilt says. “I even tried to examine the word ‘pedestrian,’ and it’s always had sort of this negative connotation — that it was always better to be on a horse or something, if you could manage it.”
Though now I sometimes find myself looking for the easiest way to get from point A to point B. And apparently I am not alone.
And while Americans have cut down on walking, they’ve been putting on some pounds. A recent study found that about 35 percent of adult Americans are obese, as NPR’s Shots blog reported in January. That equals “more than 78 million adults and more than 12 million children.”
We are grateful to live in a very bikeable and walkable city. Whenever the weather permits we try to get most places without our car. It’s been a good practice for us to both save money and get some exercise. 

Read more or listen to the story at NPR.

No comments: