Thursday, April 19, 2012

Reflections on a Switchfoot Show


1.  Switchfoot has been going at it for probably about 15 years now.  They sound better than ever.  I saw them seven years ago in Nashville when they opened up for the Foo Fighters.  That was an amazing show.  But after last night I simply got the sense that these guys are rock and roll veterans.  They know what they are doing.  They are extremely comfortable and they know what it takes to put on a great show.  It's really cool to see their maturity over the years.

2.  They have compiled a huge library of great rock songs over the years such that when you pick 15 songs to play in 90 minutes, every song in the show is a great song.  This is one indication that you have arrived as a band.

3.  They were extremely tight as band.  This is always inspiring.

4.  Switchfoot doesn't have one ounce of pride in their show.  You get the genuine sense they they love each other as a band, they love us as the audience, and they love this music that they are privileged to show.  The positive vibe in the room was really strong and when you are in a cool theatre that holds about 600 people is just adds to the effect.

5.  When I hear Jon sing, especially in the last few years, I get the sense that his voice is bending under the strain of all the shows over the years.  But last night he sounded better than ever, vocally speaking.

6.  It was great to take my oldest son.  He is nine.  It's a cool feeling when you share the beauty and glory of great music across generations.  All is not lost.  Great music will carry on.

7.  I have been taking a break from guitar playing over the last couple years.  I just don't have time to play and practice to maintain a satisfiable level in my view.  Last night's show made me want to make time for it again.  Maybe in the New Heavens and New Earth.

8.  If you have a chance to catch them on this tour, don't miss it.  You'll be really glad you did.

Click here to get their music.  I really like their latest record.

1 comment:

clarkitect said...

This really makes me want to see them when they come to Des Moines even more now, and even take my son. Haven't seen them in over five years.