Thursday, April 05, 2012

Woman Gets Saved by Ryan Gosling, Hates The Emerging Narrative



Laurie Penny tells the story and gives this conclusion:
What's more, I really do object to being framed as the ditzy damsel in distress in this story. I do not mean any disrespect to Ryan Gosling, who is an excellent actor and, by all accounts, a personable and decent chap. I thought he was marvelous in The Ides of March, and will feel weird about objectifying him in future now that I have encountered him briefly as an actual human.

But as a feminist, a writer, and a gentlewoman of fortune, I refuse to be cast in any sort of boring supporting female role, even though I have occasional trouble crossing the road, and even though I did swoon the teeniest tiniest bit when I realized it was him. I think that's lazy storytelling, and I'm sure Ryan Gosling would agree with me.

There is sermon illustration in here somewhere...  Apart from a work of God, we all hate to admit that we need saving.  

No comments: