Friday, June 22, 2012

Build a Bridge Between Your Passions And Those of Your Community

One of the most enjoyable and effective ways I have gotten to know our community is through sports photography. I enjoy photography. You can see some of my pictures here. Our community really enjoys sports. And because pictures can now be shared through social media, every picture I take can be available to the community.

To be honest with you, I wasn't that intentional in the beginning. I started taking pictures because I like taking pictures. It all unfolded from there. But it has allowed me to appreciate the lesson that if you can find where your passions intersect with the passions of the community, you may have a great opportunity to build relationships with your neighbors.

Could you:
  • Teach a class on woodworking?
  • Start a garden with your neighbors?
  • Get involved in your local library?
By this will all men know that you are my disciples, if you love one another (John 13:34-35).

Chris Brauns is the Pastor of The Red Brick Church and the author of Unpacking Forgiveness and When the Word Leads Your Pastoral Search. You can follow him on Twitter at ChrisBrauns.

No comments: