Monday, June 18, 2012

A Prayer About Silly Prayers

Guest post by Michael Kelley.

“If God had granted all the silly prayers I’ve made in my life, where should I be now?” ~ CS Lewis.

Father -

Thank you that you are not silly. Thank you that you do not waft back and forth, like a ship at sea, in your plans for me or any of your children. Thank you that you are wise and yet sympathetic; thank you that you are good and yet not easy.

Thank you, Father, that you are not content to give what is easy or even temporarily beneficial; You only give the best.

I confess that more times than not Your wisdom displayed in the path of my life isn’t something I’m thankful for… at least not in the moment. But, to Your great glory and grace, I can look back on so many hundreds of times and see how silly I was to ask for the things I wanted. I gaze upon your everlasting and eternal wisdom, and I see myself – a spoiled child, begging for more and more cookies even as they begin to turn my stomach.

I am so short-sighted, so limited in my vision. So often I am far too willing to settle for those things that are easy. Comfortable. Simple. And yet You are not, for I know that you are interested not only in giving me all things in Christ, but actually making me like Christ. And looking back, I see Your divine and loving hand guiding me in this way.

Today, no doubt, I will be disappointed because some situation will not go according to my plan. I will more than likely cast a disapproving look heavenward, much like my own son does to me when I deny him something I know not to ultimately be for his good. I will gripe. I will complain. I will belly ache because You refuse to be my butler.

I pray, Father, that you would today remind me of the great gospel of Jesus Christ. Remind me that you have sealed Yourself to me through the blood of Your Son and the indwelling of Your Spirit. Remind me that because of the cross, I know You are both good and wise. Remind me today that You always do what is best for those who love You and are called according to Your purpose.

And thank You that even during these times, You love this silly child with an undying affection.

Amen

No comments: