Monday, July 02, 2012

What multitasking does to our brains


Interesting article here.  I struggle with this issue.  I found this segment of the post to be helpful and I am already implementing it to a certain degree:
We read many times that we have to work on building a comfortable work space to focus. What I found was this: I had to create many of them.

To regain focus after finishing one task and moving on to the next one, just spending 5 minutes as a break, getting a drink or similar didn’t work. Nor did closing the laptop for 5 minutes or standing up from my desk. I had to physically move from one place to another.

So most times, I work out of my apartment for the first half of the day, then I have a list of coffeeshops I can go to, or the lounge area in our apartment building.

I completely understand that moving around isn’t possible for everyone due to their work setup. There are some very creative workarounds some companies have come up with though, that might help you here. Valve, dubbed “The bossless company”, gives every employee a desk mounted on wheels, so they can change location every so often during the day.
Read the rest.

No comments: