Monday, August 13, 2012

Living With No Internet

After being in the woods of northern Minnesota for five days, I am tempted to give this a shot!

Paul Miller:
The first two weeks were a zen-like blur. I've never felt so calm and happy in my life. Never. And then I started actually getting stuff done. I bought copies of Homer, Plato, Aristotle, Herodotus, and Aeschylus. I was writing at an amazing pace. For the first time ever I seemed to be outpacing my editors.

Without the internet, everything seemed new to me. Every untweeted observation of daily life was more sacred. Every conversation was face to face or a phone call, and filled with a hundred fresh nuances. The air smelled better. My sentences seemed less convoluted. I lost a bit of weight.

Three months later, I don't miss the internet at all. It doesn't factor into my daily life.
Read the rest.

1 comment:

Deb said...

I could skip FB and all, but I do pay bills, have my bank accounts and credit card, etc. online, so could not go without looking at those.......