Wednesday, September 26, 2012

How To Think About "Pleasures Forevermore"

Dan Cruver:
The main point I wish to make is that our enjoyment of the love of the Father and the Son in the communion of the Spirit was always meant to be enjoyed within the created order. I think seeing Romans 5:2-5 and Romans 8:19-23 side-by-side makes this way of thinking about our enjoyment of God’s love very clear. We were created in God’s image and have been adopted as children once estranged that we might live forever on a renewed earth within the love that ever flows between the Father and the Son. 
I know for myself, I tend to think of God’s love in very ethereal terms, which has never been a very attractive prospect to me. Now that’s not to say that I don’t cherish the love of God being poured into my heart through the Spirit (Romans 5:5), but that pouring of love into our hearts has always been meant to happen with our feet firmly planted on God’s good and eventually renewed creation. 
Imagine how differently we would navigate life in this broken world now if this is how we understood and thought of God’s love now.
Read the rest.  I think he might be on to something here...

No comments: