Thursday, October 11, 2012

The Importance of WHY

Guest post by John Poitevent

When I was a child, like most, I asked lots of questions. It wasn't enough for me to know WHAT or HOW I should do something, I had to know "WHY?". Although I've become a little less demanding, that question still drives me today. I've recently been challenged to better communicate the WHY in every aspect of the Christian faith. Whether it be a simple presentation of the Gospel, an admonition to love your neighbor, or a stern rebuke against grumbling and complaining, someone understanding the WHY can make all the difference in the world. In his presentation at TEDx, Simon Sinek talks about how the power of WHY impacts commerce. However, as I watched this video, I was immediately challenged and convicted about how I communicate God's truth. Often, I go straight to the WHAT & HOW, rather than humbly and patiently helping people wrestle with the WHY. In the very first chapter of Isaiah, we see God doing this exact thing with the rebellious nation of Israel. “Come now, let us reason together, says the LORD: though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red like crimson, they shall become like wool."(Isaiah 1:18) "Come now, let us reason together..." Now before we begin a debate on the theological incongruity of Simon's talk and the Gospel, understand that I am not suggesting we find better ways to "sell" God's truth. I am well aware that at times the answer is simply, "Because He is worthy."  However, I believe that He often wants to reveal to us much, much more. May we have the same humility, patience, commitment and love to do this for those whom we are called to minister.


No comments: