Monday, November 12, 2012

Is This a Technological Problem or Not?

Jonathan Martin:
Facebook and Twitter feeds along with email in-boxes have taken the place of the old newspaper front page, except that the consumer is now entirely in charge of what he or she sees each day and can largely shut out dissenting voices. It’s the great irony of the Internet era: People have more access than ever to an array of viewpoints, but also the technological ability to screen out anything that doesn’t reinforce their views.
Read more.

I personally enjoy my technological cocoon. I don't assume for a second that it is a genuine reflection of the overall culture (is it possible to have that?) but I like having a general sense of control over what information I expose myself to.

What do you think?

No comments: