Thursday, January 10, 2013

Giglio Bows Out

CNN.com reports on Louie Giglio removing himself from the invitation to participate in the inauguration.  
"I am honored to have been invited by the president to give the benediction at the upcoming inauguration on January 21," Giglio said in a statement delivered to the White House and the Presidential Inaugural Committee. "Though the president and I do not agree on every issue, we have fashioned a friendship around common goals and ideals, most notably, ending slavery in all its forms." 
"Due to a message of mine that has surfaced from 15-20 years ago, it is likely that my participation, and the prayer I would offer, will be dwarfed by those seeking to make their agenda a focal point of the inauguration. Clearly, speaking on this issue has not been in the range of my priorities in the past fifteen years. Instead, my aim has been to call people to ultimate significance as we make much of Jesus Christ."
Further on...
Giglio said Thursday that he and his team don't feel "it best serves the core message and goals we are seeking to accomplish to be in a fight on an issue not of our choosing; thus I respectfully withdraw my acceptance of the president's invitation."

"I will continue to pray regularly for the president, and urge the nation to do so. I will most certainly pray for him on Inauguration Day," Giglio's statement continued.
"Our nation is deeply divided and hurting, and more than ever need God's grace and mercy in our time of need," it concluded.

Take note friends.  This is THE issue of fidelity for the future of the church.  May we be faithful.  
The sky is not falling.  Over the last 2,000 years the church has seen much greater pressure.  Be strong in the knowledge that there is a great cloud of witnesses that have gone before us.  They know what it's like to be strangers and aliens (1 Peter 1).  We'll be ok.  Just press into faithfulness.

No comments: