Friday, January 25, 2013

Waiter hailed as hero after standing up for boy with Down syndrome

This story moves me deeply for a number of reasons.

I resonate deeply with a desire to defend those who can't defend themselves.  I resonate deeply with a desire to protect those who are made in the image of God.  I resonate deeply with the desire to put a stop to the hatred that poisons our culture and is often targeted at those who are "different".

As a father of a black daughter, I am already bracing myself for the first time when she hears a racist comment come her way.  God help me.

But I also and deeply saddened that there is outrage over a comment made in a restaurant but there is very little outrage over the fact that 90% of children with Down Syndrome don't ever have a chance at life because they are aborted.  You read that right.  90%.  If you are over 35, ever wonder why you don't see as many people with Down Syndrome anymore?  It's because they are being legally killed because they are simply a "life worth sacrificing".

I am so thankful that this waiter did what he did.  I pray I would have the courage to do the same.  How come no one is willing to defend people like Milo when they are in the womb?


No comments: