Black History Month has been the subject of criticism from both Blacks and people of other races. Some argue that it is unjust and unfair to devote an entire month to a single people group. Others contend that we should celebrate Black history throughout the entire year. Setting aside only one month, they say, gives people license to neglect this past for the other 11 months.Read the rest for his explanations.
Despite the objections, though, I believe some good can come from devoting a season to remembering a people who have made priceless deposits into the account of our nation’s history. Here are five reasons why we should celebrate Black History Month.
- Celebrating Black History Month Honors the Historic Leaders of the Black Community
- Celebrating Black History Month Helps Us to Be Better Stewards of the Privileges We’ve Gained
- Celebrating Black History Month Provides an Opportunity to Highlight the Best of Black History & Culture
- Celebrating Black History Month Creates Awareness for All People
- Celebrating Black History Month Reminds Us All that Black History Is OUR History
Saturday, February 02, 2013