Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Build a Team of People Better Than You

Bobby Gilles:
In Renegades Write The Rules: How The Digital Royalty Use Social Media To Innovate, social media consultant Amy Jo Martin writes:
“My friend Lucy Danziger, Editor-in-Chief of SELF Magazine, once told me that her secret to success was hiring only people who are smarter than she is. Everyone who works for Lucy knows it’s his or her number one duty to teach her and one another. It’s their job to show up, work hard, teach, and learn. Intuitively, I’ve always understood this concept, but referring to it as ‘hiring a team of teachers’ brought it home for me and offers a refreshing slant to company culture.”
In my own work with pastors, church planters, worship leaders and independent musicians, I stress these same points that Ogilvy, Martin and Danziger make. We become better in community, through community — especially when we carefully choose our collaborators, mentors, proteges. I’ve written songs with co-writers who possess skills I lack. I work on a church communications team with co-workers who possess skills I lack. I work for pastors who possess skills I lack. Because of them I do a better job now, and I become able to do a better job in the future.
Read the rest.  Keep in mind this will require a daily battle against pride.  It's worth the fight and will produce much godliness in your life.

No comments: