Wednesday, March 27, 2013

It is More Blessed To Give Than Receive

Tim Challies:
I saw it in my finances when I realized that the joy of a big or overflowing savings account completely pales in comparison to the joy of giving money to those who need it more urgently and who can use it more profitably. If I want to experience joy I will find it more in obedience to God’s commands regarding generosity than in the illusion of financial security or over-abundance. It is far more blessed to give than to receive or to hoard.

I saw it in my local church when we planted another church and sent off a lot of our most mature, contributing members. We even sent away several of my dearest friends. Yet even in the pain of separation and the pain of being left without the ministry of people who brought such blessing, was a deep-rooted joy. It is more blessed to give than to receive.

I see today it in my family in those times when everything in me is crying out that I deserve more, that I deserve to be served, that I deserve to be served by just being left alone. I’m so tired! I’m worn out! Yet if I pry myself off the couch and break out Ticket to Ride or Dominion or just declare that it’s time for a house-wide game of Sardines, the Lord proves once again that it is more blessed to give than to receive.

It is a principle that applies all over life and ministry. I am a long way from mastering this principle and all its implications. But I can attest--and have to remind myself often--that the Lord means what he says, and that the joy that comes through obedience, the joy that comes through giving, is deeper and better and more satisfying than the fleeting joy that comes through hoarding. It actually is more blessed to give than to receive.
Read the rest.


Books by Tim Challies:

No comments: