Thursday, May 23, 2013

An Unmistakable Sign of a Legalistic Spirit

Legalism has been defined in a number of ways, but here is my attempt: Legalism is the tendency to regard as divine law things that God has neither required nor forbidden in Scripture, and the corresponding inclination to look with suspicion on others for their failure or refusal to conform. . . . 
2. Do you elevate to the status of moral law something the Bible does not require? . . . 
Hold your conviction with passion and zeal, but do not seek to enslave the consciences of others who may disagree with you. . . . 
One unmistakable sign of a legalistic spirit is the tendency always to be looking for what’s wrong in other people’s lives in order to judge them, instead of looking for what’s right in order to encourage them. . . . 
Legalists feel good when they can identify another person’s errors. It reinforces their feelings of superiority. They actually think themselves more spiritual, more godly, and more favored and loved by God.

(HT:  Andy Naselli)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this because I needed the reminder pretty bad this morning.

It was for me to read that post after getting criticized "again" by my extended family who believe that my gifting in instrumental worship does not fit with their "theology" of what is appropriate, a cappella. And your post spoke directly to their "Law of Exclusion".

And the funny thing is that when I began my journey to where God wanted me to be, I was asked to teach the gospel of Matthew to the HS teenagers and as I went verse by verse, I saw that the denomination that I belonged to had largely become the pharisees; weighing people down with minutia and consequently minimizing or eliminating God's grace. And then as I taught the gospel of John and Romans to that same class and it became very apparent that God had another plan for me and my eyes began to open to what I was called to do and I finally began to be freed from my legalistic chains. (it is still a struggle to eliminate those old habits, however)

But this has been a journey that has not been without it's pain b/c people that I loved and had been friends with began to pull away and some even questioned my salvation and the salvation of my family. But then there were others who have remained grace-filled and affirmed my calling and gifting even though they remained in the a cappella churches.

I know that God is aware what I left on the altar and that I did it joyfully and willingly but sometimes the scars still hurt when I am struck in those places but He is faithful and is quick to be at my side.