Monday, June 24, 2013

Guardian of the Golden Gate Bridge

Guest post by John Poitevent

The Golden Gate Bridge has always been famous. It was the world’s longest suspension bridge when it was completed in 1937. Since then, it has become an iconic landmark of San Francisco and, tragically, one of the most popular places in the world to commit suicide. Few know this better than Kevin Briggs, a sergeant with the California Highway Patrol who has talked hundreds of people out of jumping. 

 

I recently saw this video, Guardian of the Golden Gate Bridge, and was profoundly impacted. Please take five minutes and watch it now.

As I listened to 
Sergeant Briggs share his story, I couldn't help but think about what it means to be faithful to the mission of the gospel. His dedication, determination and devotion to his calling convicted and inspired me. "How often am I living completely dedicated to the mission, the Great Commission, that I have been given?" "Am I on the lookout for people around me who need to be rescued?" "Am I unwaveringly committed, sacrificial and patient with them, unwilling to just let them go?"  

Some of the Sergeant's words particularly stood out to me:
"When I talk to someone, I try to dig into them and see whats going on."
"I try to get them to raise their head up."
"I actually went down on my knees and said, "Look, I got nothin'.""
"I tend to talk about my life, because I've been through a lot."
"Hey, I've been through some of this also."
"I like to lead them with dignity."
"That's what we do, that's why we're here."



"What was it, after all those hours, that you finally decided to come back?" 

"Kevin wouldn't give up."

"Be merciful to those who doubt; snatch others from the fire and save them; to others show mercy, mixed with fear - hating even the clothing stained by corrupted flesh." Jude 1:22-23

"To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some." 1 Corinthians 9:22

"This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers." 1 John 3:16

No comments: