Monday, October 28, 2013

How To Read More - A Lot More

Ryan Holiday:
When you read a lot of books people inevitably assume you speed read. In fact, that’s probably the most common email I get. They want to know my trick for reading so fast. They see all the books I recommend every month in my reading newsletter and assume I must have some secret. So they ask me to teach them how to speed read. 
That’s when I tell them I don’t have a secret. Even though I read hundreds of books every single year, I actually read quite slow. In fact, I read deliberately slow, so that I can take notes (and then whenever I finish a book, I go back through and transcribe these notes for my version of a commonplace book
So where do I get the time? (Well for starters I don’t waste any of it asking dumb questions). 
Look, where do you get the time to eat three meals a day? How do you have time to do all that sleeping? How do you manage to spend all those hours with your kids or wife or a girlfriend or boyfriend? 
You don’t get that time anywhere, do you? You just make it because it’s really important. It’s a non-negotiable part of your life. 
I think there are three main barriers that hold people back from making this happen and I want to disassemble them right now so you can start reading way, way more.
Read the rest.  

No comments: